Cleaning and Hygiene
By Caitlyn Wandel and Melissa Nortan
A well maintained cage
- Before you get new chooks, we recommend you disinfect your chook cages.
- You must have a clean food and water container for each chook.
- You must clean these containers regularly.
- The food containers must not be swapped between different chooks as it can spread diseases or pests between birds.
- Every week check each individual chook for pests. If the chook has pests treat them immediately.
- Clean all the cages out completely every second week, removing all chook manure from around edges and removing all straw/ sawdust. *Put new and clean straw/sawdust in. Every other week clean by removing the droppings amongst the sawdust in the cage and add more sawdust if required