Holding & Restraining Technique
By Amy Webb and Kendal Scobie
Correct chook handling techniques
- To handle a chook you need to be calm & sensible.
- You need to talk softly to the chook & keep talking gently to it while you catch it.
- To catch it you need to try carefully and quickly grab hold of it by the legs and body.
- If this doesn’t work try doing the same thing but faster.
- If this still doesn’t work leave the chook for a while and then go back and try again.
- Once you have the bird hold it by putting your middle finger in between its legs and squeeze the legs so the chook doesn’t go flying away.
- Stroke your chook gently with your other hand.
- To put the chook down simply make sure its feet are touching the ground and reverse the catching process.
- Do not be mean to your chook if it does something wrong.
- If your chook goes crazy do not panic just firmly hold onto your chook and talk quietly to reassure it.
- If you feel scared while holding your chook don’t worry your confidence will grow and the chook will quiet down over time.